Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Infinitely Interruptible

One good thing about all of the challenges we have faced lately is that I no longer wonder why men have made the lion's share of scientific, mathematical, and artistic breakthroughs throughout the history of time. It's one simple concept: uninterrupted work time.

It's something I had briefly, and now I feel like I will never, ever have it again. Just for kicks, today I made a little mark on the margin of a page every time I got interrupted while I was working. I was interrupted an average of five times per hour, or once every 12 minutes. That's a lot of hopping up out of my chair. (On the plus side, I have lost some weight from all the running around, so... another silver lining?)

I had a five minute period in between Norah's post bedtime wake-up-and-yell-for-a-snack, and the time when I had to go sign in for my evening of tutoring-while-also-doing-other-work. I was interrupted during my five minute break.

I give up. If you ever wanted to watch someone lose their mind, turn on your cameras now.

No comments:

Post a Comment