Here is the homemade yogurt recipe -- no special equipment needed other than a candy thermometer.
-4 cups of milk (I like organic whole milk for this)
-3 tbsp plain yogurt
-1 candy thermometer
-1 large glass jar big enough to hold 4 cups
-1 cooler filled with hot water
1. Heat the milk to 180F, stirring every so often.
2. Turn the heat off and let the milk cool to 118F.
3. Take some of the cooled milk and mix it with the yogurt
4. Mix the yogurt-milk mixture back into the large pot of milk, stir. (You can add some buttermilk at this point as well for a slightly tangy yogurt)
5. Pour the milk into the jar and seal
6. Put the jar into the cooler. Make sure the water comes up to the top of the jar.
7. Close the cooler and wait 5 hours.
Yogurt! :) The next time you make it you can use some of your batch of yogurt to culture the next.